Wednesday 31 July 2013

Titled: Let Your Love Be Exalted

I wrote my first song in my first year of varsity thanks to one of my besties. She wanted us to write songs for an event we were going to host as Harvesting Hearts. I believe that is where my love for writing began. I did not write much when during teaching blocks so most of the songs I wrote, i wrote when I was home, usually after much reflection about my life and moments that had been inspired by God.

Needless to say, writing the first song proved to be a difficult challenge because I had never written a song but I am glad that challenge led to a desire and passion to write songs. Not a lot of people know that I write songs. I dont even share most of the songs I wrote with my friends, only did so once out of the 10 or so songs I have written so far.

At first I used to think long and hard before I wrote a song and while writing the song and it got to a point where I just started to allow God to influence my writing. I started meditating on things God had brought me out of, His love, how good and gracious He is. After allowing God to influence my thinking as a songwriter, it started to be a little easier to write because I expressed bits and pieces of God in life. My songs started to sound less recited and much more real.

I now love writing songs and whenever a melody comes, first thing I look for is my phone so that I can record that melody or even a line before I forget it and then continue working on it. But I am still learning because there's always room for development. The song posted below was written after I read something that I had written that reminded me of God's unfailing love. It's truly amazing how much God loves us, how He continually shows us His love each and everyday even though somedays we fail to see it. Its amazing how He loves people like me who mess up all the time, who deny Him, who seek Him when it pleases them. Which reminds me of what I learnt from my connect group today, that I need to choose to seek Christ continuously, on a day to day basis, not just when it's convenient for me to do so. Sometimes loving God may prove to be challenging especialy with the countless flaws we have as people, hence it's only our fixing our eyes on Him and how He loves us that we can get back to the path of loving Him with all our hearts, minds, and soul. One of my Pastors once said God does not base He's loving us, or blessing us, or being faithful to us, or being gracious to us by our love for Him because it is fickle but He does all the above based on His love for us, a love that is unfailing because that's just who my God is, LOVE.

Let Your Love Be Exalted
Verse 1

Unfailing love
How can this be
You gave Your life
As ransom for all
You bore our sin
And you took our place
Forever let Your love be exalted

Chorus
Be exalted in the earth
Let Your grace Lord redeem lost souls
And Your light God shine in all the earth
For all You've done oh Christ we exalt You

Forsaken by
Your very own
But still you showed
The greatest love of all
You paid the price
That I should've paid
Forever let Your love be exalted

Chorus

Bridge

We exalt You oh God
Lord we lift Your name on High
We declare Your unfailing love
In our lives Lord Your love we lift

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment